The city of Burgos, through the Society for the Promotion and Development of the City of Burgos, has become part of the European Cultural Itinerary of the Network of Routes of Emperor Charles V Route as a full member.
From this moment on, the city of Burgos becomes part of this network, which means accepting both the rights and obligations that our route has for all its associated entities.
It should be remembered that the Emperor Carlos V, already King of Castile, visited the city of Burgos for the first time on 19th February 1520, when he entered it through the San Martín Gate in the company of his entire entourage. According to the chronicles, "that same night and the following ones, the streets were lit up with coloured lanterns, and during the other days, there were bullfights, jousting, reeds and banquets".
He would later return to Burgos, already as emperor, in 1523 and 1524. In particular, his long stay during the last year allowed him to visit frequently the works of the Carthusian Monastery of Miraflores and to speed up the fitting out of the open crypt under the central tomb, to give his great-grandparents and founders a definitive rest; and also in 1527 -prolonging his stay until 1528- and in 1542, to visit the city for the last time in 1556, on his way to his definitive retreat in the Monastery of Yuste, in Cáceres.